Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Black Diamond FM Listen Live


Derek Hall’s report from Bonnyrigg Rose v Bo’ness United (Pre-season friendly)

todayJuly 27, 2019


Derek Hall

Bonnyrigg Rose 0-0 Bo’ness United

An extremely warm summer evening and despite the blank scoreline, things were certainly fairly heated on the park during this friendly last night at New Dundas Park between these old rivals. In the third minute a dangerous free kick into the home penalty area from Grant was confidently held by keeper Andrews. After five minutes, both Hunter and S Gray sprung the offside trap having been played on by Snowdon but when Hunter played in Gray, his shot was straight at visitors keeper Murphy who beat the ball away. Less than a minute later and Murphy was in action again, saving really well from a deflected McGachie effort. After nine minutes, Bo’ness centre half Hunter got a header in from a corner but the ball had drifted behind direct from the corner kick. In the twelfth minute a lovely move from the home side saw S Gray find Hunter on the left wing and his first time pass put McGachie in to smash the ball off the underside of the Bo’ness crossbar from just inside the box with Murphy well beaten this time but the ball stayed out. Five minutes later and as the home side continued to press, Horne drifted past two defenders to make space for a shot which Murphy grabbed at the second attempt. A minute later and Hunter again broke through the Bo’ness offside trap but this time the cut back was poor and the danger was over. After 23 minutes, Moyes sent a header over the bar from a Brett cross when it looked like he should have done better and two minutes later a McGachie cross to the back post was well headed behind by Jacobs as Bonnyrigg continued to dominate possession. The corner was cleared out to Baur who then found Young on the edge of the box and his curling 20 yard right foot effort was well clawed away by the very busy Murphy.
Finally after 31 minutes Bo’ness registered an effort on goal and it was an excellent 22 yard left foot drive from Jacobs which had Andrews scrambling across his line to cover the shot. Two minutes later McGachie fed S Gray, who had been very lively for the home side, but this time his effort didn’t trouble Murphy too much. After 37 minutes, Jacobs of Bo’ness became the games first caution after fouling McGachie and a minute or so later, it was McGachie sliding the ball about a yard wide from the edge of the visitors penalty area. After 40 minutes, a very decent chance for Bo’ness as a corner was headed down to Syme, who hooked the ball over the bar from about 12 yards range. The Bo’ness centre half Hunter was then needlessly cautioned a minute from half time for kicking the ball away after being penalised for a fairly clear push on an opponent. Just before half time, McGachie set up Brett but his 20 yard drive was again held by Murphy who had been the visitors outstanding performer and at half time it remained honours even.
Two minutes into the second half and McKenzie stooped to head a Bo’ness corner wide of target. Stevenson then moved past an ineffective challenge from Baur and fired in a decent effort which home keeper Andrews blocked with his legs and a minute later a header from Donnelly was blocked as Bo’ness started the second half looking much more of a threat up front. Hunter was next for the visitors as he powered a header over junction of post and bar after winning the jump for a corner at the back post. Bonnyrigg then moved upfield and a free kick into the Bo’ness box was cleared out to Young who side stepped an opponent before firing in a drive which Murphy dived to push away. On 51 minutes, McGachie used his strength to hold off a challenge from behind on the edge of the box before turning to fire a right footed drive a couple of yards wide. After 58 minutes, R Gray of Rose was cautioned for blocking the Bo’ness goalkeeper as he attempted to clear upfield and three minutes later, Nimmo of Bo’ness was the next caution for clipping the ankles of Docherty near the touchline as the temperature on the field began to rise. Four minutes later and after consulting with his assistant, referee Haynes red carded R Gray from the home side after a late challenge, reducing Rose to ten men for the final 25 minutes of the game. On 69 minutes a Hunter cross was headed towards the home goal by McKenzie but Andrews was there to make the save.
Currie drilled a free kick to the edge of the Bo’ness box after 73 minutes but Baur hooked his effort over the visitors crossbar and a couple of minutes later, a nice one-two on the edge of the Bo’ness penalty area between Brett and Turner saw the former fire a twenty yard effort over the bar. After 77 minutes, Bo’ness missed a great chance to go ahead when Bonnyrigg made a real mess of clearing a ball into the box and the ball looped up to the back post where Stevenson arrived unchallenged but from little more than eight yards, he lashed his effort high and wide when perhaps a more composed effort would have yielded a far better result. After 84 minutes, it was Bo’ness turn to beat the offside trap and McKenzie pulled the ball back for Mooney who could only fire wide and this proved to be the last meaningful effort of an entertaining and at times frantic match. Bonnyrigg and Bo’ness clearly don’t play friendlies, the rivalry between these clubs goes back too many years for that, but the needless cards issued to players from both sides might yet come back to haunt them later in the season during a game which had plenty for the very decent crowd in attendance to enjoy.

Written by: Russell Aitken

Similar posts


January 2024 Sports Recap

Links so you can listen to the sports programmes on Black Diamond FM

todayJanuary 22, 2024