Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Black Diamond FM Listen Live


Derek Hall’s report from the game Newtongrange Star v Auchinleck Talbot Saturday 20th July

todayJuly 22, 2019


25 years ago New Victoria Park, the home of Newtongrange Star was opened with a game against Auchinleck Talbot, Newtongrange Star won 2-0. A rematch was played on Saturday, here is Derek’s report from the game.

Derek Hall

Newtongrange Star 1-10 Auchinleck Talbot
A hot, humid day for this challenge match to mark 25 years at New Victoria Park for the home side and the original opening opponents invited back as top Junior side Talbot showed in some style that they still hold that position in the modern game. Within a minute Lyle tried a 30 yarder for the visitors which went a couple of yards wide and a few minutes later an even better chance when McKinlay blocked a clearance which sent Glasgow into the home penalty area but Star keeper Dunsmore made a fine block and the follow up effort from McKinlay was cleared. Next up for Talbot was G Wilson who tried to place the ball in from about 20 yards but Dunsmore carefully watched the effort go wide. In the 11th minute the same two players were involved when G Wilson charged down an attempted clearance from keeper Dunsmore but luckily for the home side the ball sailed over the bar when it could have gone anywhere, but at this stage of the game, Talbot were well in charge. 16 minutes and Star finally showing as an attacking force as Scott drove forward and tried to play in Paterson but Kerr was quickly off his line to snuff out the danger. After 18 minutes the visitors were in front when G Wilson got to the goal line and his cross to the back post picked out Glasgow who guided home the opener. Star responded and Paterson worked his way into the Talbot box but Kerr again was off his line to block the ball at his feet. After 24 minutes, Nelson moved forward for Star and picked out the busy Paterson who got an effort in which went over and two minutes later Nelson smashed in a cracking 30 yard left foot drive which had Kerr diving full length as it went past the junction of post and bar.
However a minute later the ball was played wide to Glasgow on the left side of the Star box and he turned and rifled a stunning left foot strike from about 20 yards across Dunsmore and into the far top corner to double the visitors lead. A minute later it got worse for the home side as a lovely cross from Lyle picked out the arriving G Wilson and his header hit the back of the net for 0-3. Star tried to respond with an O’Hara cross testing Kerr who held on well with Paterson waiting for any mistake. After 36 minutes, a free kick into the Star box saw a free header for S Wilson who arrived late at the back post but he couldn’t keep the effort down. However after 38 minutes it was game over as Glasgow was this time picked out on the right side of the Star area and he killed the ball with a great first touch before curling a lovely strike past Dunsmore into the bottom far corner for a sensational first half hat trick. Star were still getting forward when they could and G Nelson set up another chance for Paterson in the 40th minute but it was again off target. In 42 minutes a corner into the Star area saw a totally free header for centre half Young who couldn’t believe he had missed the target from six yards and at half time it was the visitors who took all the plaudits for a brilliant first half performance.
The half time break ran to just over half an hour due to the unfortunate collapse of a spectator in the covered enclosure. The swift actions of a number of spectators around him in calling an ambulance, plus aid from Star physio Bernie Morocco and also a lady GP from Auchinleck who treated the gentleman until paramedics arrived are to be commended and all at 107.8 Black Diamond FM wish the gentleman called John all the best and a full and speedy recovery.
After 49 minutes, Paterson was almost in again for Star but the assistants flag brought the attack to a halt. Two minutes later and a nice ball down the Star left flank was picked up by Scott who scampered into the box and then placed a lovely left foot effort across Kerr and into the far corner to get the home side on the scoresheet. Two minutes later Paterson, who had been the Star’s most effective player on the day, turned and hooked a cross over the bar from about 15 yards as the home side looked to mount an unlikely comeback. However after 55 minutes, any thoughts of that were over when from a Talbot corner another free header for Young saw his header blocked by Dunsmore on the line but it rolled free and McKinlay was first to react to tap home. Four minutes later, a free kick into the Star box saw left back Pope rise unchallenged and his strong header found the target via the post for 1-6. A minute later and Shankland skipped down the left wing for Talbot and his cross into the Star box was only missed by inches by the arriving Samson as Talbot started to turn the screw. In 62 minutes Star no 8 O’Hara tried a speculative drive from about 30 yards which Kerr watched carefully as it went wide and this was followed up at the other end as Kemp tried a snap shot which sliced wide of target. However after 73 minutes the visitors added another and it was a tremendous solo effort from no 14 Samson who picked up the ball near the centre circle and drove forward past three defenders before getting to the edge of the box and making space to then place a lovely 20 yarder in the bottom corner with Dunsmore no more than a spectator.
On 79 minutes, the dangerous Samson was brought down about ten yards outside the Star penalty area and up stepped Shankland to strike the free kick up and over the defensive wall and into the bottom corner for Talbot’s eighth of the afternoon and this was followed up by a 30 yard strike from Pearson which fizzed over the top of the Star crossbar. With five minutes left a ball into the box was only half cleared and the alert Shankland reacted first to hook the ball acrobatically over his head and into the net for number nine. Two minutes from time and McDowell picked up the ball in midfield to stride through a static and somewhat disheartened defence and as Dunsmore advanced to meet him, he cooly slipped the ball into the corner of the net as the visitors reached double figures. In the end, a completely dominant showing from the away side who were outstanding on the day with Jamie Glasgow rightly picking up the MOM award for a brilliant performance. The home side will need to put this behind them quickly and co-managers Darren Smith and Kenny Rafferty will be impressing upon the players after what had been a decent pre season up till now that the real job begins next Saturday with the visit of Tranent and this result has no bearing at all on that important game.

Written by: Russell Aitken

Similar posts


January 2024 Sports Recap

Links so you can listen to the sports programmes on Black Diamond FM

todayJanuary 22, 2024