Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Black Diamond FM Listen Live


Report from Bryan Copeland from The Bo’ness v Wick Academy in the Scottish Cup Game on Saturday 25th September

todaySeptember 26, 2021


Derek Hall liked Bryan Copeland’s post: “Match Report Scottish Cup Round 1 Replay Bo’ness United v Wick Academy Saturday 25/09/2021. KO 15:00 Newtown Park, Bo’ness Bo’ness Team : Murphy (Gk). Stevenson, Hunter, Hawkins, MacAuley. Galbraith, Comrie, Gemmel, Anderson, Locke, Miller. Subs : Wilson, Flynn, Fullerton (Gk) Just a week ago the United team bus rolled out of Bo’ness shortly after 6:30am closely followed by the Supporters Bus that left just a few minutes after 7. A long day with most out the house by 6:30 and home not long before 11pm but a good day with great scenery all the way up, a good spread of soup and sandwiches in the Seaforth Highlanders Club, Wick with a few drinks was then followed by a match where going into the the visitors had done well on the long distance road trips so far and the home side not won a game this season with 6 draws and 3 defeats so far. After going ahead twice the BU managed to pull it back and end the match in a 2-2 draw having used the 2 available subs and finishing with 9 men after 2 red cards. This week it’s Wicks turn to make the over 500 mile round trip as both teams now face each other again and of course if it’s another draw we go all the way to extra time and if required penalty kicks. With Bo’ness yet to win at home in a competitive game this season and Wick yet to win a game at all 1 of those things have to change today we await to see if it is within regulation time or if it takes more. There will be changes to the BU starting 11 with both Skinner & J. McCormack suspended however reports suggest Comrie & Hawkins will be back available for selection. With the draw for the next round made last Sunday both teams know they face a trip to Edinburgh City in round 2 after negotiating this round. Before we get into today’s game a mention to last weeks captain Michael Gemmel who took the time after the game to board the Supporters bus and thank the fans from himself and all the players and staff for making the long trip North to support the team telling us it was much appreciated. A very welcome and good gesture that was appreciated by all and which will be passed on to those fans not on the bus that booked places to stay for a night or 2 to come to the game. Into the replay then and the visitors got us underway attacking the goal towards Fisons with the hime side shooting towards Kinneil School. The opening 5 minutes saw the visitors put a cross into the box that was easily cleared and on 7 minutes the ball was in that net from a tap in by the home side only for linesman on the enclosure side to put his flag up for offside. Wick had a shot from just inside the box followed by 1 from outside the box both of which Murphy had to save and on 16 minutes when the home side lost possession on half way Wick were quick to break forward once again forcing Andy Murphy into action with another save. At the other end on 17 minutes the home side took the lead as Miller put a half volley up and over the keeper into the back of the net. BU 1 – 0 Wick. From the kick off Wick we’re forward quickly looking to get back into the game and they got their wish as from the edge of the box the ball bounced nicely for a shot which went up and over Murphy and into the back of net. BU 1 – 1 Wick. Forward came the visitors again and a pass infield from the left saw another shot head towards Murphy’s goal this time it was high and wide. With the time defend looking shaken Wick we’re quick to get forward again a threaded pass from half way set them on the move forward and a shot flashed very close to the post thankfully for the home side it was on the outside as the ball very narrowly missed the target. 25 minutes in and Murphy got fingertips to a brilliant shot from just outside the box sending the ball for a corner when it looked to headed for the top corner of the net. The home side looked to be struggling to get a foothold in the game through this stage and once again Murphy was forced into action. On 31 minutes though Stevenson found himself wide right with the ball and he curled in a brilliant cross (although he may say it was a shot) as the ball landed in the bottom corner. Whether Miller will claim a touch or the goal will go to Stevenson it was 2-1 Bo’ness much to the delight of the home side. Minutes later a good cross in was almost touched into the net to make it 3-1 while at the other then end a free kick from around 25 yards was struck right into Murphy’s hands by Wick. The ball was rattled off the cross bar at both ends 1stly by wick with a shot from 20-25 yards and the same at the other end. 5 minutes to half time and Galbraith Picked the ball and played and exquisite pass to Locke who rounded the keeper and calmly slotted the ball into the net. BU 3 – 1 Wick. A couple of minutes added on and at was half time Bo’ness United 3 – 1 Wick Academy. Into the 2nd half and moments after the kick off and Nicky Locke was waiting on a lovely ball at the back post for the simplest of finishes to make it BU 4 – 1 Wick. 11 minutes into the half and the visitors had a goal back a cross from the right was easily put into the net. BU 4 – 2 Wick. Form the kick off Wick got the ball back and as it bobbled around the 18 yard line the home side cleared before on the right Miller was brought down with a horrendous tackle. While the physical dealt with Miller the Bo’ness players were surrounding the officials correctly demanding action to be taken from the referee. A yellow care was shown much to the frustration of fans, players and officials of Bo’ness a clear blatant red card that both the referee and the linesman refused to give. With Miller still on the ground looking in serious trouble the game was now stopped for 10 minutes and counting with the referee still refusing to change his mind. 20 minutes and Zander still on the pitch awaiting an ambulance with the physios refusing to move him and the reports of his ankle snapped and broken it looked like a long delay was due. Still to the disbelief of all connected with Bo’ness the referee stood on the pitch with his assistants surely he must be thinking he made a mistake in not showing a red but having not acted appropriately at the start who knows and it has to be said the linesman who was right beside the tackle offered him no assistance what so ever. With over an hour to wait on an ambulance the referee too the decision to abandon the match and as the fans headed for the exits it was a very sad atmosphere. Match ended BU 4 – 2 Wick but with the match abandoned the score will mean nothing as it looks like a further replay will be organised. A clear blatant obvious foul that deserves a red card gets a yellow and Wick get another replay starting again at 0-0 absolute ridiculous and both the Wick player who made the tackle and the officials should be ashamed of themselves.”

Written by: Russell Aitken

Similar posts


January 2024 Sports Recap

Links so you can listen to the sports programmes on Black Diamond FM

todayJanuary 22, 2024