Top listeners:

skip_previous skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
  • cover play_arrow

    Black Diamond FM Listen Live


This week in sport (local) Monday 9th November – Sunday 15th November

todayNovember 15, 2020


This week in sport Derek Hall our own reporter was covering 2 games for 107.8 Black Diamond Fm

Easthouses Lily 5-0 Lochgelly Albert
November 12
Football as we know hates a cliche so it’s eyes down as tonight we witnessed the home side go nap with a five star first half performance and their visitors from Fife had the proverbial bad day at the office and went home feeling sick as…….you get the idea ! Easthouses lined up with Neil Janczyk, former Whitehill manager, in their ranks as a trialist and he certainly impressed as he directed things from left midfield. Within the first minute, Lochgelly keeper Hunter had to carefully watch a swirling cross come in with Elliot right there waiting for a mistake but the keepers handling was solid. Lochgelly replied with Bennell trying to get onto a through ball but Brown was across to concede the throw in. Bennell then found Feeley and he got the ball to Gallacher but he was off balance and completely mishit his shot from just outside the home penalty area. At the other end, Hunter provided the chance for Elliot who did well to hold off his defender and then turned to fire in a low 20 yarder which slipped by the base of the Lochgelly right hand post. However the opening goal arrived in the eighth minute as Hunter played in Linton who slipped the ball past the advancing keeper Hunter and McBeth arrived to make sure and thumped home from a couple of yards to put the home side ahead. Two minutes later, the lead was doubled as a long ball from keeper Dunsmore caught the Albert defence flat footed and Elliot moved into the box down the inside left channel and from 15 yards, he cooly dinked the ball over Hunter and doubled the advantage for the home side with a really composed finish. Straight from the restart, Lily won a free kick 25 yards out bang in front of goal but Janczyk drove his effort straight into the defensive wall and at this stage, the home side were well on top. After 13 minutes, only a great block by Kerwin with his body from a Russell shot prevented the ball from getting through before Russell again got down the left flank but his cross from the goal line was blocked. After 19 minutes, Elliot got the ball to Brown who played in McBeth and only a poor first touch on the edge of the box let him down but it was all Easthouses and next up was Russell who showed good strength to hold off a defender before side stepping another and then driving for goal from 20 yards but the contact wasn’t quite what he wanted and visiting keeper Hunter was down to make the save.
Finally on 23 minutes, Albert made some progress and had a great one on one chance as Feeley outstripped the home defence to go into the box but Dunsmore made an excellent block from the stinging drive before then gathering the loose ball, but Albert really needed to make the few chances they were creating count. This became even more apparent two minutes later when a Hunter through ball saw Russell again go into the visitors box on the inside left channel and although Hunter saved well from the first effort and pushed the ball wide, Russell retrieved the ball and from a really tight angle, he chipped the ball beautifully into the far corner of the net to put Easthouses three up. Three minutes later, casual play from Lily’s McQueenie saw him lose possession and the ball was picked up by Bennell who swung a cross to the back post and Stack headed wide another presentable chance for Albert. On the half hour, Hunter was pulled down for Lily about 25 yards out, but Russell’s set piece was handled well by Hunter, who was now by far the busiest man on the park. Two minutes later, Feeley was brought down outside the home box and required treatment but 30 seconds later it was the home side who made the first change as Taylor came on for Hunter who hadn’t managed to recover from being fouled a couple of minutes earlier. After 35 minutes, Kirby of Lochgelly became the games’ first caution when he brought down McQueenie with a cynical trip as he moved down the left touchline almost right in front of referee Lee, who in truth had little option but to pull out the yellow card. Three minutes later a ball down the inside right channel saw Elliot played on by Sneddon and Elliot raced into the box before firing his drive against keeper Hunter but the ball spun across the face of the goals and hit the unfortunate Sneddon as he tried to get back and trundled into the empty net for goal number four. Brown and Taylor then played a lovely one two on the edge of the Albert box and only a good tackle from Gallacher stopped Brown getting his cross over. Right on half time an Easthouses corner dropped for Linton whose effort was blocked by keeper Hunter but it ran back to Kearney who then blasted home from around six yards and at half time this game looked dead and buried as Lily enjoyed a five goal advantage.
Unsurprisingly the away side made two changes prior to the start of the second period as Boyle and Mitchell replaced Bennell and Sneddon. Two minutes in and Stack tried his luck from fully 30 yards for the visitors but Dunsmore was down on one knee to take the ball with ease. At the other end Elliot raced down the right flank and pulled the ball back for Taylor but the chance went begging before the visitors had to bring on Clegg for Feeley who looked to have turned an ankle. On 53 minutes McQueenie of Lily and Mitchell of Albert went for a ball and this time it was Mitchell who came out limping but he was at least able to run the injury off as Albert didn’t need any more bad luck. Elliot and Keenan had a good tussle for the ball in midfield and despite Elliot looking favourite to get the ball away, Keenan showed good tenacity to get a foot in and deprive the Easthouses front man of possession. On 56 minutes, McBeth was through one on one on Hunter but the Albert keeper stayed big and made a great block before picking up the weaker follow up effort from the striker. Shortly after this, Lochgelly brought on Bell for Colquhoun before Gallacher again intervened for Albert at the back by denying Elliot a run on goal. Mitchell got to the goal line for Albert but pulled back McQueenie as he tried to go into the box and before the free kick was taken, Lily brought on Steven for Linton. On the hour Russell played in McBeth but he couldn’t dig the ball out from under his feet so instead he laid the ball back for Elliot who fired wide. After 62 minutes, Janczyk tried to catch the Albert defence napping with a lovely quick clipped free kick down the left flank allowing Brown to race into the visitors penalty area and only a great one handed save from keeper Hunter denied a sixth goal. The corner saw McQueenie head the ball back across goal where Kearney met the ball flush and his thumping drive was blocked brilliantly by Gallacher.
On 62 minutes, Elliot was pulled back about eight yards outside the Albert box by Keenan who received the games and Lochgelly’s second yellow card from referee Lee before Russell slammed his free kick into the defensive wall, poleaxing Bell who took the ball full in the solar plexus. Three minutes later, keeper Hunter was quickly off his line to save at the feet of McBeth before on 65 minutes, pure frustration got the better of Albert’s Stack, who blatantly pulled down Brown after the ball had gone almost in front of the dugouts and the away team were now winning the yellow card count 3-0. Three minutes later, Janczyk’s free kick picked out Kearney and when his shot was blocked, Russell got to the ball first but the contact was poor and keeper Hunter grabbed the ball. After 70 minutes, Meldrum made good progress down the right flank for the visitors but almost indicative of how their night had gone, he had two attempts at crossing the ball and couldn’t get it past the first defender either time and a minute or so later, home keeper Dunsmore made a hash of a clearance firing the ball straight to Clegg but his first touch saw the ball shoot away some 15 yards and with it, any chance of some consolation for the Fifers. On 72 minutes, Elliot pulled a shot wide from around 15 yards before Brown once again tried to play in McBeth but keeper Hunter was smartly out to make the sliding catch a yard inside his box. Easthouses were now just managing the game to its conclusion although a couple of shots from Elliot and McQueenie went close but failed to find the target. In the last minute, Russell set up one final chance for McBeth who got the ball onto his left foot but from 15 yards, his angled drive was straight at Albert keeper Hunter. In the end, a comfortable and comprehensive victory for the home side who were never in any trouble in this one and manager David McQueenie will be delighted with the goals being shared around and the bonus of a clean sheet. There was little which would console anyone in the Lochgelly camp tonight other than they had the character to stem the tide in the second period and they simply have to put this one to the back of their minds and get ready to go again at the weekend.

Tranent Juniors 4-1 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale
November 15
Top of the table action at Foresters Park as Tranent hosted their current nearest challengers LTHV in this eagerly awaited clash of the Premier pace setters. Within a minute, Paterson played in Smith for the home side but his drive was well over and soon after Craigie found Paterson but his drive was deflected behind. However Lothian responded after five minutes as Mbewe found Cummings who raced to the edge of the Tranent box before stinging the fingers of Adams who turned it behind for a corner which Moore headed towards goal and a combination of Adams hand and possibly a touch from the crossbar saw the ball drop back to Moore but his left foot effort was scrambled clear. On eight minutes, Smith flashed a drive across the face of the Lothian goal area from a tight angle before the same player then turned on the edge of the visitors box and fired in a drive which keeper Swain saw all the way. On twelve minutes a Hawkins cross was cleared to Murphy whose shot was deflected wide and when the corner found the head of Whitson, keeper Swain was there to punch the ball to safety. With 14 minutes gone, Tranent won a free kick wide on the left flank and Moore of Lothian was then cautioned by referee Lee for a foul committed as the attack was building. After 16 minutes, the game was held up for treatment to Berry who had taken a knock before Kelly then played a nice ball up the left wing for Cummings to chase but Whitson got back for the home side to tidy up. On 20 minutes, Cunningham was both sinner and saint for Lothian when he gave the ball away needlessly on the edge of his own box to Paterson whose drive was parried by keeper Swain and when the ball dropped for Smith, Cunningham threw his body in to block the ball and deflect it over the bar for a corner. A minute later, Berry succumbed to his earlier injury and was replaced by Rutherford before Cunningham then almost slipped Cummings away for the visitors but the offside flag halted play. After 25 minutes, Cummings tried to outpace Whitson down the left flank and when the winger hit the deck, referee Lee this time contented himself with a warning to the Tranent centre half.
Vale were edging more into things after the earlier Tranent pressure and Cunningham found Deland who quickly played in Mbewe but he just couldn’t keep his cross in play before a minute or so later, a cracking Deland cross flew across the face of the Tranent goal line begging for a touch but none was forthcoming. On 29 minutes, Wringe found Cummings with a lovely pass and he was in one on one with Adams but the keeper made a vital intervention with his heel to get the ball behind and we were still all square. From the corner, the header from Lally was easily held by Adams although the game was stopped as Lally had sustained a head knock but thankfully was able to continue. Three minutes later Craigie found Hawkins and his pass saw a decent drive from Smith beaten away to his right by keeper Swain in a game now being played at cup tie pace. A foul on Rutherford 24 yards out saw the same player drive into the Vale wall but he caught the rebound far sweeter and keeper Swain was delighted to see this effort deflected straight into his hands. Eight minutes from the break, Vale broke down the right wing through Cummings, but his cutback to Cunningham saw the drive skied over the top. On 39 minutes, keeper Adams showed composure in side stepping not one but two Vale attackers after a passback although the second of these players, Moore, got to the ball but Adams managed to retain possession. On 44 minutes a real let off for the visitors when a Smith effort was blocked and ran to Paterson whose follow up drive was saved by keeper Swain and when the third effort from Paterson went in, the contact wasn’t great and Vale hacked the ball clear. However two minutes into stoppage time, Smith skipped away from his covering defender on the halfway line and raced into the Vale penalty area and as he tried to go round keeper Swain, the keeper dived low and clearly made contact with Smith’s ankles, giving referee Lee little option but to award a spot kick. A yellow card was issued to the keeper before Miller stepped up to drive the ball home despite keeper Swain diving to his right and getting hands to the ball. A vital breakthrough just prior to the interval and the home side would feel it was probably just reward for a first half where they had the lions share of both the possession and the chances, but a fascinating 45 minutes coming up.
On 48 minutes, a nice one two between Lander and Paterson saw the former go wide past keeper Swain but the tight angle meant he was forced to cut the ball back and the further effort from Miller was cleared. Vale responded with a 30 yard drive from Cunningham but he leant back on the shot and it cleared the crossbar by a considerable margin. A nice combination move between Murphy, Rutherford and Lander ended up with a shot from Paterson from around 15 yards going narrowly over the Vale bar but this was substitute Rutherfords final involvement in the game as an injury saw him replaced by Ponton. After 53 minutes, a ball across the face of the Vale penalty area from the right flank saw Smith take the ball first time on the half volley and Lally threw up his hands to shoulder height and blocked the ball away almost like a keeper giving referee Lee a second spot kick to award to the home side and a caution to the Vale defender. Up stepped Miller again, this time going to the keepers left and it was Swain who won the battle this time as he dived full length to beat the ball away for a terrific save and you wondered if you were watching a pivotal moment in this game. After 55 minutes, the visitors made a double switch as Donald and Signorini replaced Cunningham and Mbewe. Almost immediately a cross to the back post for Vale from the left flank saw Ponton manage to bundle the ball behind with Moore right there. On 59 minutes, Whitson of Tranent became the games next caution for a clear trip on Wringe who had robbed him of possession on the left wing but the free kick into the box saw a foul awarded to the home side for pushing. Two minutes later a good driving run from Paterson was ended by a great sliding tackle from Smith before Crawford gave away a needless free to put Vale under more pressure and the whipped free kick from Smith certainly had keeper Swain’s attention as it fizzed wide. However on 67 minutes, the home side doubled their advantage as a simple ball into the Vale box saw hesitancy for the first time from the Vale defence and Lander nipped in to round keeper Swain and then roll the ball home. Two minutes later, things went from bad to worse for the visitors as Lally clearly clipped Paterson as he drove forward right under the nose of referee Lee and the second yellow for the big defender saw Vale reduced to 10 men. A minute later, Tranent brought on Watson for Miller and Watson was immediately involved as he crossed for Lander but his header drifted wide.
However on 73 minutes, casual play at the back from Whitson saw him dispossessed in the right back position by Wringe, and he needed no second invitation to step into the Tranent penalty area and from 14 yards, he placed a composed right foot drive past Adams to throw the visitors a lifeline and at the same time, Vale replaced Moore with Penker. However their joy was short lived as Tranent moved upfield and Paterson flicked a nice ball through for Smith and Swain parried the drive but only back into the path of Paterson who buried the loose ball and restored the two goal advantage. Penker’s first involvement was to set up Cummings who won a corner off Hawkins and when the ball came over, Vale captain Smith flicked his near post header over the bar. Six minutes from time, Ross replaced Kelly for the away side before Watson pulled a shot across the face of the Vale goals. With five minutes remaining, Murphy of Tranent picked up a caution for a foul on Cummings near the touchline and the set piece saw Donald glance his header over the Tranent crossbar, before Signorini tried his luck with a 25 yarder which drifted over. A minute from time, Smith charged down a clearance from keeper Swain but a defender completed the clearance before two minutes into stoppage time a tired looking defensive clearance from almost on the goal line was picked up by Tranent substitute Watson who moved into the Vale penalty area before bending the ball round the unprotected Swain and sealing an emphatic home win. At full time, the home side sit proudly at the top of the Premier Division still unbeaten and already looking like a side who may take some catching and manager Calum Elliot will be delighted with a sustained high tempo performance for the full 90 minutes. For Vale, it was a bad day plain and simple, but they will put this result behind them and go again next weekend, knowing that they are near the top of the league for a reason and a return to form next weekend will help banish the memory of today’s disappointment.

Written by: Russell Aitken

Similar posts


January 2024 Sports Recap

Links so you can listen to the sports programmes on Black Diamond FM

todayJanuary 22, 2024